Prosper Glenwood is a group dedicated to enhancing the economic sustainability and vibrancy of Glenwood Springs through community partnership. This partnership includes the City, Glenwood Chamber, Downtown Development Authority, Visit Glenwood, Post Independent, Colorado Workforce Center, and local businesses. Although Prosper Glenwood may be new to you, this group came together at the beginning of the pandemic to support our local businesses during those unpredictable times. Today we continue this partnership and work on developing new resources for our business community to support local businesses. Please check out below helpful resources and up to date information on key issues impacting businesses.
Mission: Enhance the economic sustainability and vibrancy of Glenwood Springs through community partnership.
Over the last year, we have brought together our different expertise to amplify awareness of new programs, employment trends, events, and facilitated connections to our local businesses. To keep this momentum going Prosper Glenwood engaged businesses in August 2022 through one-on-one conversations meeting local business owners and managers right at their doorstep. We collected feedback to better understand the challenges businesses are facing, today’s needs, and how to address the gaps. The big themes we heard from businesses were where to find resources, housing, succession planning, and staffing. Prosper Glenwood has put together information below to highlight existing programs and what is currently being done to address these needs.
Business Financial Resources:
From City, County, Regional, and State there are a variety of resources, programs, grants, loans, tax credits, and much more. Resources can be found for businesses at any stage and in a variety of industries. Please follow the link below to open or download a spreadsheet of these resources.
At the September 2, 2021, meeting, City Council approved the formation of an Ad-Hoc Housing Committee to review and recommend policies for a dedicated funding source to provide affordable and workforce housing. Ad Hoc Housing Committee, which was renamed the Glenwood Community Housing Coalition, held “Workforce Housing Roundtable Meetings” to engage small group discussions about Glenwood Springs housing challenges and the role of creating a dedicated source of local funding as part of a larger housing strategy.
On September 1, 2022, Glenwood Springs City Council voted to refer an accommodations tax question asking voters whether to increase taxes on overnight stays at hotels, motels, short-term rentals and similar accommodations within Glenwood Springs by 2.5 percent bringing the total excise tax to 5%. On November 8, 2022, the voting measure passed which will provide an estimated $2.5 million per year for a Workforce Housing Fund to help address the housing needs being faced by city residents and employers in the private, nonprofit and public sectors. | Read the full press release.
Retirement, Closing, or Selling:
If you are ready to retire or considering selling, there are key steps to take to get your business ready. SBA has developed a resource to prepare your business. Please click on the link below. If you want direct one-on-one support for your business, please reach out to our local SBDC at https://northwestsbdc.org/ or to Program Manager, Ashley Pynes email@example.com.
Workforce and Staffing:
In today’s economy, attracting and retaining a strong workforce is challenging. The Colorado Workforce Center offers free services to assist employers with the recruitment of workers, pre-screening, and referral services. Reach out to Carolyn Tucker, Regional Business Services Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org to get plugged in.
- Connecting Colorado: www.connectingcolorado.com
- Glenwood Springs Resort Chamber Job Postings (Membership Required): https://business.glenwoodchamber.com/job-postings
- Post Independent Job Postings: https://classifieds.cmnm.org/marketplace/cmnm/category/Employment @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Enterprise Zone Program:
The Colorado legislature created the Enterprise Zone (EZ) Program to encourage development in economically distressed areas of the state through tax credits. Tax Credits can be eligible for Job Training, New Employees, Vacant Commercial Building Rehabilitation, Commercial Vehicle Investment, and Sales and use tax exemption.
- Glenwood Springs Chamber Resort Association: The Glenwood Springs Chamber Resort Association is the longest-standing community and business organization in Glenwood Springs. Since 1919, the Chamber has provided quality programs and services to drive economic prosperity and sustainability. Creating a climate of growth and success has involved efforts to improve opportunity, infrastructure, development, tourism, and education.
- City of Glenwood Springs: City of Glenwood Springs Economic Development Department’s role is to support our local businesses. Questions regarding resources available, licensing, or general concerns this department is here to help.
- Downtown Development Authority: The Glenwood Springs Downtown Development Authority (DDA) has several over-arching goals: It seeks to enhance and broaden the downtown experience for residents and guests through infrastructure, beautification, pedestrian access and connections to open space, views and river corridors.
- Colorado Workforce Center: Workforce Centers provide a variety of free services to assist employers and job seekers alike. These include Job listings, computer and internet access, career counseling and training for job seekers, recruitment of workers, pre-screening, and referral services, tax credits and training reimbursement for employers. Customers can choose either self-service or staff-assisted options to meet their employment needs.
- Northwest Small Business Development Center: The Northwest Colorado Small Business Development Center offers business consulting and training that maximizes the economic potential of entrepreneurs within our region.
- Northwest Colorado Council of Governments: The purpose of the Northwest Colorado Council of Governments is to be responsive to our members’ needs and interests by providing guidance and assistance in problem solving, information sharing and partnership building, advocating members’ interests and needs with local, state and federal entities, and providing quality services to our membership that are relevant, effective, and efficient. (The City of Glenwood Springs is a member)
- COVENTURE: COVENTURE is a non-profit organization committed to building economic resiliency in the Roaring Fork Valley through programming, mentorship, incubation and community coworking. We collaborate with organizations and individuals across Colorado to cultivate business solutions and develop a thriving entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- Startup Colorado: Colorado’s rural entrepreneurs are building some of the most exciting business opportunities in the state. At Startup Colorado, we support these change agents via a free peer-to-peer Entrepreneur Network, scholarships, event programming, and collaboration with local business support organizations @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Colorado Department of Labor and Employment: CDLE connects job seekers with great jobs, provides an up-to-date and accurate picture of the economy to help decision making, assists workers who have been injured on the job, ensures fair labor practices, helps those who have lost their jobs by providing temporary wage replacement through unemployment benefits, and protects the workplace - and Colorado communities - with a variety of consumer protection and safety programs.
- Colorado Office of Economic Development and International Trade: We work with statewide partners to create a positive business climate that encourages dynamic economic development and sustainable job growth. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Contact Us: Danielle Campbell, Economic Development Specialist email@example.com 970-384-6424