Animal Control

The Code Enforcement Officer and Patrol Officers respond to calls for service involving animal control issues.

Cats & Dogs

The Glenwood Springs Police Department will respond to calls involving dogs running at large, vicious dogs, and barking dogs. Cats are free-roaming animals, and are not considered to ever be “running at large.”



During summer months, officers also routinely respond to and assist the Colorado Division of Wildlife with calls involving bears.

Raccoons & Skunks

Please see the following guides for humane removal techniques of Raccoons and Skunks:

What to Do if Your Dog Has Been Impounded

Dogs are kept safe at the Colorado Animal Rescue (CARE) shelter, however, you must first contact Glenwood Springs Police Department prior to having your dog released.

There will be no animals released during the weekend or on holidays.

Animals will only be released Monday through Friday between the hours of 9 am and 4 pm. You will need to contact personnel at the Glenwood Springs Police Department front desk between those hours, excluding holidays, by calling 970-384-6500.


  • City Licenses
    • Altered Animal - $5
    • Non-altered Animal - $15
  • Impoundment Fee
    • 1st Offense - $25
    • 2nd Offense - $50
    • Offenses thereafter - $100 
  • Kennel Fee
    • Cats - $15
    • Dogs - $20
  • Quarantine - $25

Fees and vaccinations are required.

Municipal Ordinances Related to Animal Control

Vicious Animal - 100.020.070 GSMC

A person shall be held strictly liable for owning, keeping or harboring a vicious animal. For purposes of this Section, a vicious animal is any animal that inflicts unprovoked bites or attacks human beings or other animals either on public or private property or acts in a vicious or terrorizing manner, or approaches any person in an apparent attitude of attack upon the street, sidewalks or any ground or place commonly used by the public. (Code 1971 Sections 3-18, 3-35; A 18-98 Section 6; A 30-04 Section1)

Animal Running at Large - 100.020.120(A)(4)

Circumstances in which animal ownership, custody, maintenance or control creates, contributes to, or permits any of the following undesirable animal conduct or conditions upon public or private property causing injury or substantial annoyance, or discomfort to the health and welfare of others shall be unlawful.

Animal Disturbing the Peace - 100.020.110 GSMC

It shall be unlawful for any person to keep or maintain any animal or fowl within the City which disturbs the peace and quiet of the neighborhood. (Code 1962 Section 20.6; Code 1971 Section 3-1)

Animal Littering - 100.020.040 GSMC

Any person owning, harboring or having charge of any animal shall forthwith pick up, remove and dispose of in a sanitary fashion any and all animal feces attributable to such animal. In addition to any penalty therefor, the failure of such person to pick up, remove and dispose of all animal feces attributable to his/her animal is hereby declared to be a nuisance and shall be subject to abatement as provided in Section 100.010.050. (Code 1971 Section 3-34; A 18-98 Section 4)