This page provides general information about sign requirements within the city of Glenwood Springs.  Please consult the Sign Code (Municipal Code Article 070.040.110) for complete information.  Additionally, we highly encourage you to contact a planner in the Community Development Department so that we can discuss sign allowances and requirements that are specific to your building or site.

Permit Required

You are required to complete a sign permit application before you install a new sign or before you alter or modify an existing sign.  If your sign is electrified you will also need to obtain an electrical permit which is issued by the State of Colorado, Department of Regulatory Agencies.

Types of Signs Allowed

There is a wide array of signs that are allowed in Glenwood Springs, and a number of them do not require permits as long as they comply with the requirements of the particular sign type.  Our Sign & Banner brochure provides a quick overview of the types of signs that you may install.  
Special Sign Areas
There are special sign requirements for businesses located in the Downtown and the Glenwood Meadows shopping areas.  Please contact the Community Development Department for information about sign requirements in these districts.  
Multiple Tenant Buildings
If you are the owner of a property that has more than 1 building on site, or that has more than 1 commercial tenant in the building, you must submit an application for a Master Sign Permit before the Community Development Department can issue any individual sign permits on your property. This Master Permit allocates your total allotted signage to each of your tenants.

If you are a tenant within a multi-tenant building, please obtain a copy of the approved Master Sign Permit and submit it along with your sign permit application.
Prohibited Signs
There are a number of signs that are not allowed in the city of Glenwood Springs.  A few include
  • A-frame or sandwich board signs, except in the downtown area
  • Beacons & search lights
  • Flashing or moving signs
  • Portable & wheeled signs
  • Roof signs, except in the downtown area
  • Signs in the public right-of-way, except as allowed by the Planning & Zoning Commission and City Council